When it comes to versatile and nutritious ingredients, sweet potatoes are hard to beat. Not only are they packed with vitamins and fiber, but they can also be prepared in a variety of ways to suit any palate. One of the most popular ways to enjoy sweet potatoes is by incorporating them into both sweet and savory dishes. From breakfast to dinner and everything in between, these sweet and savory sweet potato recipes are sure to become a staple in your meal planning rotation. So, get ready to indulge in the best of both worlds with these delicious recipes that will satisfy all your cravings.
The Best of Both Worlds: Sweet and Savory Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love
As one of the most versatile vegetables, sweet potatoes are a popular ingredient in both sweet and savory dishes. They are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, fiber, and potassium. Sweet potatoes have a naturally sweet taste, making them a great addition to desserts and baked goods. However, they also pair well with savory ingredients like herbs, spices, and meats. Here are some delicious sweet and savory sweet potato recipes that you will love.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potato casserole is a classic dish that is perfect for holiday dinners or any time you want to indulge in a sweet treat. This recipe combines mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, then tops it off with a crunchy pecan topping. It’s a sweet and savory dish that will be a hit with everyone at the table.
– 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1/2 cup chopped pecans
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash the sweet potatoes.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, and mashed sweet potatoes. Mix until well combined.
4. Add the milk and mix until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the chopped pecans, brown sugar, flour, and melted butter. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve hot.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
These sweet potato and black bean quesadillas are a healthy and flavorful vegetarian dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner. The sweet potatoes and black beans are seasoned with cumin, chili powder, and garlic, then topped with melted cheese and served with salsa and sour cream.
– 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
– 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp chili powder
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 8 tortillas
– 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
– Salsa and sour cream for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the diced sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
3. Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
4. In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans with a fork. Add the roasted sweet potatoes and mix well.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Spoon 1/4 cup of the sweet potato and black bean mixture on top of the cheese. Top with another tortilla.
6. Cook the quesadilla for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
7. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with salsa and sour cream.
Sweet potatoes are a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of sweet and savory dishes. These recipes are a great example of how sweet potatoes can be used to create delicious and healthy meals that everyone will enjoy. Whether you prefer sweet or savory dishes, there is a sweet potato recipe out there that will satisfy your taste buds. Try these recipes today and enjoy the best of both worlds!