Sweet potatoes are a staple food in many households, especially during the holiday season. Most people associate them with sweet dishes such as pies, casseroles, and mashed potatoes. However, sweet potatoes are incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of savory dishes. In fact, sweet potatoes are a great source of nutrients and can add depth and flavor to many savory dishes. In this article, we will explore the savory side of sweet potatoes and discover how they can be used in a variety of delicious and healthy dishes.
Beyond Sweetness: Discover the Savory Side of Sweet Potatoes
When we think of sweet potatoes, we often think of them as a sweet side dish or pie filling. However, sweet potatoes can also be used in savory dishes, adding a unique flavor and texture. In this article, we will explore the savory side of sweet potatoes and how to incorporate them into your meals.
Sweet potatoes can be used in a variety of savory dishes, from soups to salads to casseroles. Here are a few recipes to try:
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
– 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
– 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp chili powder
– 1 tsp cumin
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic until softened.
2. Add the sweet potato, black beans, and tomatoes to the pot.
3. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
4. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the sweet potato is tender.
Sweet Potato and Kale Salad
– 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
– 4 cups kale, chopped
– 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
– 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and spread on a baking sheet.
3. Roast the sweet potatoes for 20-25 minutes, until tender and slightly browned.
4. In a large bowl, combine the kale, feta cheese, and pumpkin seeds.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
6. Add the roasted sweet potatoes to the bowl with the kale, then drizzle the dressing over the top and toss to combine.
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, but they are also packed with nutrients. One medium sweet potato provides over 400% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin A, as well as vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. They are also a good source of complex carbohydrates, which provide sustained energy.
Sweet potatoes are a versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. Try incorporating them into your meals for a unique flavor and nutritional boost. From chili to salad, the possibilities are endless.